Monday, May 08, 2006

NBA Second Round Play-Off Predictions


The first round is over and the second round began with a nail biter and a blow-out. I correctly picked the winner in six of the eight first round series and here are my thoughts on the second round.

Cleveland/Detroit


What we saw in game one was an omen of what is still to come for the Cavilers. LeBron is as good as they get but he is going up against the best starting five in the league.

Cleveland may sneak away with one victory in this series but I don’t see it going beyond five games.

My Prediction: Detroit in five games

New Jersey/Miami

This isn’t the same Miami Heat team from last season. This new version seems to have lost a step from last season but they can still turn it on when they need to. That could be dangerous against the Nets because New Jersey is sure to pose some problems for the Heat. It will be a two man game in this series, Shaq and Wade for Miami against Kidd and Carter for New Jersey.

The Nets will have the backcourt advantage and the Heat should dominate the frontcourt. The deciding factor in this series will be the bench points. That advantage goes to the Heat.

My Prediction: Heat in six games

Dallas/San Antonio

If the Mavericks are ever going to make the Finals this is the year. They are already in a one game hole to the Spurs but is Sacramento can get a few games from San Antonio then you know the Mavericks can.


The winner of this series will have the inside track to representing the West in the NBA Finals. San Antonio might have a slight edge in personnel but at times they looked old and slow against the Kings.

I think this series will go seven games which could favor the Mavericks who are coming off a short series against Memphis.

My Prediction: Dallas in seven games.

LA Clippers/Phoenix Suns
Phoenix just finished off one LA team and now gets to take on another one. I am not sold on the Clippers yet. They were barely challenged by the Nuggets in the first round while the Suns were pushed to the limit against the Lakers.

There are several reasons why I could pick the Suns to win this series, home court advantage, more depth, players who can score from anywhere on the floor but I’m going with Phoenix because they are a better team.

My Prediction: Suns in six games.

How I picked the first round

Sacramento/San Antonio
My Prediction:
I’ll take the Spurs to win. My guess is the series will go five games.

What Really Happened: Spurs won in six games.

Memphis/Dallas
My Prediction:
I’m picking the Mavericks to win the series. I’m guessing five games here as well.

What Really Happened: Mavericks won in four games.

Los Angeles Lakers/Phoenix Suns
My Prediction:
I pick the Suns to win the series. I’m guessing six games.

What Really Happened: Suns won in seven games.

Los Angeles Clippers/Denver Nuggets
My Prediction:
I’ll take the Nuggets. I see this one going seven games.

What Really Happened: Clippers won in five games.

Milwaukee/Detroit
My Prediction:
Pistons sweep.

What Really Happened: Pistons won in five games.

Washington/Cleveland
My Prediction:
Washington wins the series. I think it will be six but wouldn’t be surprised to see it go seven.

What Really Happened: Cleveland won in six games.

Chicago/Miami
My Prediction:
Miami wins the series. I think it will be in five games.

What Really Happened: The Heat won in six games.

Indiana vs. New Jersey
Prediction:
Nets win. I say the series goes seven games.

What Really Happened: The Nets won in six games.