Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I'm Declaring Free Agency


I am declaring myself a Major League Baseball free agent fan. If you are a regular reader of My Opinion on Sports then you know that I am a Kansas City Royals fan. I have followed the Royals since 1983 and am sick of the constant losing over the past 10 plus years.

Kansas City has become a revolving door of top notch talent and managers who cannot compete with the minor league roster the Royals are putting out on the field. So now I am looking for a new team to cheer for.

Before you call me a sell-out (maybe that’s what I am) I will still follow the Royals but I need a team that will give me hope for October not a team that is done by the end of April. So, I drafted the following letter and sent it to every team outside the AL Central.

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Matt and I am a huge fan of baseball. I have been a Kansas City Royals fan for almost 25 years and unfortunately have had very little to cheer for more than a decade. I have been able to cheer more for former Royals like Johnny Damon that the actual Kansas City franchise.

I am just sick of the constant losing and the revolving door of managers and big time talent. That is why I need your help. I am declaring myself a major league baseball free agent fan. I am not a sellout who is quitting on his team. I will still keep an interest in Kansas City hoping that at some point they will turn the franchise around but I need at team that I can follow with hopes of having something to cheer for in the month of October.

So please as a member of the marketing and promotion staff tell me why I should cheer for your franchise. What are the benefits of cheering for your team? What will they offer me as a fan?

I am sending this letter to every team outside of the AL Central (I Just can't cheer for the teams I have cheered against for long) sincerely looking for a new team to root for. I will consider all responses and pick my new team based on them. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Sincerely
Matt


This should be interesting. I’ll let you know what the responses say and keep you informed on my decision process.