Tuesday, October 10, 2006

ALCS Predictions




First, let me say that I couldn’t have been more wrong about the American League Division Series’. I don’t know what shocked me more Santana getting handled by the A’s or the Tigers bouncing the Yankees. None the less it makes for a great story in baseball.

I like the Tigers lineup better than I do the A’s. If I were putting together an All-Star list based just off this series I would take Placido Polanco, Carlos Guillen, Pudge Rodriguez, Craig Monroe, Curtis Granderson and Magglio Ordoñez all from Detroit for their offense.

However, pitching is what wins in the post season and that is why I am taking Oakland to win this series. I’ll take Barry Zito, Estaban Loaiza, Dan Haren and Rich Harden to limit the Tigers offense enough to put them in position to win.

When the teams have to turn to the bullpen Kiko Calero, Justin Duchscherer and Huston Street give Oakland a depth advantage that Detroit doesn’t have with Joel Zumaya and Todd Jones being their only bullpen stars. Detroit does have a lefty advantage in the bullpen though.

My Prediction: Oakland in five games.