Thursday, January 12, 2006

Sooners go to A&M

The Sooners will take their two-game losing streak to College Station to take on the Aggies tomorrow. OU has lost their first two conference games by a combined 3 points. Their losses haven’t come because of a lack of defensive hustle. I have often bragged on the way this team plays defense and I think they will continue their defensive pressure on Saturday.

The inability to make plays in the final minutes and poor shooting through out is what has cost the Sooners in the last two games. In the two conference losses the Sooners failed to score down the stretch after having the game under control.

Opposing teams are playing a zone defense against the Sooners in an effort to contain OU’s big men Taj Gray and Kevin Bookout. The good news is that the zone creates open jump shots for the Sooners. The bad news is that the Sooners haven’t been able to hit those shots.

You can blame Oklahoma’s shooting woes on the absence of guard Michael Neal who is nursing a groin injury. Neal is still questionable for Saturday and I don’t think he will. The truth is that Oklahoma doesn’t have a chance Saturday if they can’t score inside and outside.

A&M has been surprising so far this season. They opened conference play with a win over Texas Tech and then took Oklahoma State to the wire Wednesday night before losing by two points.

They don’t make OU fans bigger than me but I can’t pick the Sooners to win on the road at this point which makes me mad because I have the blog bet with Texas A&M and Baseball.
My Pick: A&M

Current Conference Standings
Texas 2-0 13-2
Nebraska 2-0 12-3
Missouri 2-0 9-4
Kansas 1-0 10-4
Texas A&M 1-1 11-2
Iowa State 1-1 11-4
Oklahoma State 1-1 11-5
Baylor 0-0 0-1
Texas Tech 0-1 9-7
Colorado 0-2 10-3
Kansas State 0-2 9-4
Oklahoma 0-2 9-4

Other Big 12 Games
Iowa State @ Texas Tech
The Cyclones will be tougher than the Bears were and the Red Raiders will be easier than the Longhorns.
My Pick: Iowa State

Villanova @ Texas
The Longhorns need to win this game to help restore their national recognition.
My Pick: Texas

Kansas State @ Kansas
This is a game of two teams heading in opposite directions.
My Pick: Kansas

Oklahoma State @ Baylor
Could be tough early for the young Cowboys who are walking into an ambush at Waco, I say they are able to overcome.
My Pick: OSU

Colorado @ Missouri
Tigers have the chance to go 3-0 in conference play.
My Pick: Missouri