Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Buster's Best



My season long football picks contest with my son Buster is coming to a close. It’s been fun and he has pretty much taken me to the wood shed every week. Next season Buster will have hit the big 10 in the age bracket so there will be no more picking games straight up, he will have to go against the spread as well.

Last Week’s Games

Pittsburgh @ Indianapolis
Buster picked the Colts to win and I had the Steelers to cover the 9.5 points they were getting from Indianapolis. I was surprised the Steelers won but hey, they covered. Buster 0-1/Dad 1-0

Carolina @ Chicago
Buster picked a tight game and a Chigago win. I went the other way and had Carolina to cover the three points they were getting from the Bears. I’m liking the way this is starting. Buster 0-2/Dad 2-0

Washington @ Seattle
Buster picked Washington to win and I thought they would cover the 9 points they were getting. Missed it by one point but Buster is getting off to a worse start than me. Buster 0-3/Dad 2-1

Denver @ New England
Well it wasn’t a shut out for Buster. He picked the Broncos to win and I had them to cover the 3 points they were giving to the Patriots. I had a winning week but sadly I needed to go 4-0 to have any hope of getting above .500. This season I’ve been beat down by a 9-year old and now I’m guaranteed to have a losing record. Is this what it feels like to be a New York Jet? Buster 1-3/Dad 3-1

For the season: Buster 67-31/Dad 46-50-2

This Week’s Games

AFC Championship

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos
It’s the battle of the bearded quarterbacks. It will be hard for the Steelers to win their third in a row on the road but this Pittsburgh team seems to make new believers every week. Buster likes the Broncos to win and I think it will be a very close game. I’m taking the Steelers to cover the 3 points they are getting from Denver.

NFC Championship
Carolina Panthers @ Seattle Seahawks
Look for this game to be a defensive game and some what low scoring. The Seahawks will have Shaun Alexander back and healthy but the Panthers have Steve Smith who could be the most dangerous player left in the play-offs. Buster is picking Seattle and I am going with the Panthers to cover the 4 points they are getting.

Feel free to leave your picks in the comments section.

Basketball Update
Buster had his first game for his new school on Saturday. He is playing in two leagues now, the YMCA league and his school league, so he had two games on Saturday. Points were hard to come by for him on Saturday. He had several shots rim out on him.

In his first game (YMCA) he had one steal, one assist and two rebounds. His team won a nail biter 15-12. In the second game (School League) Buster came off the bench to grab nine rebounds and two steals in another close win, 12-10.

You can read about Buster’s world and see his view on sports at Buster’s Best.