Thursday, January 19, 2006

Knight-Mare


I can’t stand Bobby Knight! I don’t appreciate his arrogance or his dry humor. I don’t think he provides any quality at all to the Big 12 Conference. I’m not even convinced that he is still a good coach anymore. One thing I do like to see Bobby Knight do is losing. It’s not that I despise Texas Tech, of the Texas schools I actually find myself cheering for the Red Raiders more than any other.

It’s just don't like Bobby Knight. I think he is a punk! He is a bully who whines and cries when he gets bullied. He’s a cheater who screams that others cheat. He built his reputation on his 1976 undefeated Indiana Hoosiers team and then has spent the rest of his career tearing that reputation to shreds. Despite winning national championships again in 1981 and 1987 Knight is best remembered for physically abusing 18-22 year old young men and verbally abusing women.

Hey Knight, Don Shula took the 1972 Miami Dolphins to an undefeated World Championship but he never came out of a bathroom stall and wiped a feces covered wad of toilet tissue on the wall to let his team know how he thought they were playing, never choked or head butted a player, never threw chairs or berated a secretary in a room full of her peers. Even the people in Knight's inner cirlce aren't safe much less a student strolling across campus or a chancelor at a salad bar. Shula built on his legacy of an undefeated season by being a gentleman, something you have no concept of. He was a humble winner and a gracious loser.

So, tomorrow when Texas Tech comes to Norman to play the Sooners I won’t be cheering for OU because they are my favorite team. I won’t cheer for the Sooners because a win would even their conference record at 2-2. I’m cheering for OU because I want to see Bobby Knight lose!

This is a winnable game that the Sooners must take advantage of. At this point the Sooners have to protect their home court at all cost. They finally got a game winning shot to go down last week at A&M. They have had the week off to rest and get healthy. The Sooners have no excuse if they lose this game.

Scouting the Red Raiders

Leading Scorers
Jarrius Jackson – 43.4% from three point range, 19.3 points per game.
Martin Zeno – 51.4% from the floor, 16.4 points per game.

Leading Rebounders
Martin Zeno – 5.3 rebounds per game.
Darryl Dora – 5.0 rebounds per game.

Who we want at the free throw line
Michael Prince – 35.3%
Jeremy Buttell – 50.0%

Who we don’t want at the free throw line
Drew Coffman – 100.00%
Jarrius Jackson – 83.7%

Big 12 Standings
Texas 3-0 15-2
Missouri 3-1 10-5
Nebraska 2-1 12-4
Oklahoma State 2-1 12-5
Colorado 2-2 12-3
Kansas State 2-2 11-4
Iowa State 2-2 12-5
Texas Tech 2-2 10-8
Oklahoma 1-2 10-4
Kansas 1-2 10-6
Texas A&M 1-3 11-4
Baylor 0-3 0-3

Other Big 12 Games
Texas A&M at Iowa State – The Aggies are on a slide since loosing a heartbreaker to the Sooners.
My Pick: Iowa State

Nebraska at Kansas – Back to back losses to Kansas State and Missouri for the Jayhawks.
My Pick: Kansas

Colorado at Oklahoma State – I would go with the Buffalos if the game was in Boulder but like most teams Colorado struggles in Stillwater.
My Pick: Oklahoma State

Texas at Baylor – Should we even say anything?
My Pick - Texas

Missouri at Kansas State – Can the Wildcats follow-up last week’s huge upset of the Jayhawks?
My Pick: Missouri