Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Okay We Get It, You’re Focused

Oregon’s Justin Phinisee says focus is the Key to winning the Holiday Bowl, over and over again. The word of the day at Oregon must have been focus.

"It's focus," the senior cornerback said. "People think the focus is on one play. People think the focus is on winning games. People think the focus is on one season. Focus is an all-the-time thing. You've got to have that focus on.

"Once you direct your focus in a certain area, everything takes care of itself. Your focus starts from the time you want to focus. If I'm focused now, then that means I'm coming out to this practice and I'm focused. A lot of people say, 'OK, that's focus and that's cool,' and they go back in the locker room and it's over. No, no, no. You go back in the locker room and you're still focused. What are you focused on? Getting healthy, getting my body right. And then when I eat, I'm still focused; I've got to eat right. When you learn how to focus, it becomes a perpetual cycle that goes on and on."

And on.

"It's almost like you're always focused," he said. "And once you're in that mind-set, things start to settle for you. In the end, it's that focus."
"After the game? I'll probably let go of my focus. I've already focused on letting my focus go, from after the game up till about the third of January. After that, it's right back on. It's kind of preplanned already."
WOW!