Monday, April 20, 2009

MLB Notes And Quotes From April 12




“I didn’t take into account that I’d have to get above the fan to get the ball. I watched the replay and it looked like his glove was outstretched on top of mine. It all happened so fast.” - Trevor Crowe, Cleveland, on the possibility of fan interference when trying to rob New York’s Jorge Posada of a two-run homerun. The Yankees beat the Indians 7-3.

“He’s got a bright future. He reminds me of Santana a little bit, his body and his mannerisms, the way he throws. Santana’s got those broad shoulders like he’s got. He’s similar, he’s got a similar arm slot, similar delivery. He’s going to be good.” - Jack Cust, Oakland, on Toronto’s Ricky Romero who pitched 7 scoreless innings. The Blue Jays beat the A’s 1-0.

“I went in and told the guys that this was a great series here. Three well-played games. We scraped and we scratched. If we keep playing baseball like we played in this series, we’ll be fine. I was pleased with the effort and I told them so.” – Milwaukee manager Ken Macha after his team escaped being swept by the Mets with a 4-2 win on Sunday.

“I think it’s embarrassing. I think it’s unacceptable. I think our fans have every right to be mad like we are right now. We’re going to have a brand-new bullpen tomorrow, and if those guys who come in don’t get it done, we’re going to continue getting guys out of here.” – Washington manager Manny Acta on his bullpen after they blew their third consecutive game on Sunday, a 7-4 loss to the Florida Marlins.

“I always felt like that was one of the things I was better at, getting a timely hit, getting a big hit for the team and hopefully I can get back to that. We needed something like that to give us some momentum.” - Jeff Francoeur, Atlanta, after his three RBI performance against Pittsburgh on Sunday ended a 22-inning scoreless streak. The Braves beat the Pirates 11-1 on Sunday.

“They got me good. They got me real good and I was not ready for it. After a game like that I don’t care what they put in it. They can spit in it and I’ll take it.” - Raul Ibanez, Philadelphia, on his teammates giving him a shaving cream pie to the face after hitting the game winning homerun to down the San Diego Padres 5-4.

“That was the guy that I remember from last year.” – Jason Bay, Boston, on teammate Jon Lester’s seven shutout innings on Sunday. The Red Sox beat Baltimore 2-1.

“I just wanted to attack the hitters with whatever I was throwing out there and try to execute pitches. I found a rhythm and went after it.” - Gavin Floyd, Chicago White Sox, after striking out seven Tampa Bay batters and taking a shutout performance into the 7th inning.

“Anytime I can get in the box, I love it. I just like the opportunity.” – Cincinnati pitcher Micah Owings on hitting a two-run double against Houston. The Reds beat the Astros 4-2.

“Trying to get them to hit my pitches, and they weren’t able to do it. That’s what I try to do every time: Be efficient and get deep into a game, and right now it’s working out.” - Glen Perkins, Minnesota, after going eight innings, allowing only 1 run, against the LA Angels. The Twins won 3-1.

“It felt good. Hitting a home run was the last thing on my mind, facing a guy who’s got really good stuff. I was just thinking contact, get on base, and set the table for the guys behind me. It was cool … when it helps the team out, it’s always a good feeling.” - Michael Young, Texas, on completing a two-run rally against Kansas City with a 9th inning homerun.

“Sometimes you have to put blinders on when it comes to certain teams. I just wanted to pitch well. It’s nice to go out there and feel like I’m contributing after the last two starts.” - Randy Johnson, San Francisco, on taking a no-hitter into the 7th inning against his former team Arizona. The Giants beat the Diamondbacks 2-0.

“I’m pretty happy. I’m very enthusiastic and very happy about it, but from the team’s perspective, it’s one game.” - Rick Porcello, Detroit, After getting the first major league win of his career, an 8-2 win over Seattle.

“I felt pretty good about this club leaving spring training. I just felt we were going to score runs. But to get off to this kind of start is pretty good,” LA Dodgers manager Joe Torre after Sunday’s 14-2 win over the Rockies marked the team’s 10th win of the season and 8th in a row.